Sunday, April 1, 2012

One of the great parts of this adventure for me is the time. I am working a lot but it gives my mind time to remember my passions for things. I have been painting and drawing more here just for fun than i have in a long time. Also the long hot stretches in the middle of the day are a good time for me to play the guitar thats here, and my banjo. It isn't so much that i had forgotten how much i loved doing these things, it's more that i accepted that i loved them as de-facto. Since graduating from school in 2010 i think i lost a lot of my inspiration for my arts and interests through concentration on getting and maintaining jobs. But my time away and to think is starting to heal that. I don't feel like i have to make myself paint or keep advancing my music or write for the sole purpose of staying the kind of person that i want to be. Now i feel like doing those things, so i just do. I guess i am remembering that they are not a function of my personality, they are just things that i have fun doing. 

Ok enough philosophizing.... in other news there is a 4 foot lizard that lives in our laundry room. The other day it took a GIANT crap in our living room. Also just in the past few days a new breed of fly has emerged. Thankfully all that these ones seem to do is sit on the wall. The only thing is that they are HUGE. Also we saw this weird caravan of caterpillars crawling along the sidewalk. And there is a big brown spider that keeps building a web in front of my door. i've walked into it like three times already.

Food supplies are once again running dangerously low. Now there are 7 of us (two girls from New Zealand showed up) the frozen meat is gone and we're down to our last half kilo of rice. After that it's just canned corned beef, which is pretty good on sandwiches albeit, but i don't want to live on it. The boss is coming back from Sydney tomorrow with his family (for Easter and the mustering) so hopefully there will be some food with him. I'm not sure what his family will eat if he doesn't. 

Oh, the other morning i woke up and pulled a medium sized bird out of my bosses living room. That was even before i had had my instant coffee. Which i must say is growing on me. It would definitely never replace fresh ground black gold, but when compared to the American brands of brown acid powder, it is definitely livable. And speaking of black gold last night i had a Tim Tam Slam. Firstly i should explain the ingrediants. There is of course the Tim Tam which is essentially a chocolate covered chocolate....cookie....crunchy....waffery... grahamcrackery...thing and Milo. Now Milo is a wonderful discovery for me and i will definitely bee trying to get some more once i get back to the states. If you have ever had Instant breakfast then you will understand the premise. Milo is malted barley powder with chocolate flavor that you mix into hot or cold milk. Although it's a nestle product it seems to be strictly an Aussie/Kiwi thing. I've been drinking it every morning that we have milk, it's delicious. But a Tim Tam Slam is where you make a cup of hot Milo, bite the opposite corners off of the Tim Tam bar and use it as a straw for the Milo. The hot milo melts the inside of the Tim Tam and its chocolate overload. Pretty awesome even aside from considering it's the first candy i've had in three or four weeks.

AH!! I hit a milestone with the guitar. I managed to learn Living in the Country by Pete Seeger. One of my top 5 favorite songs ever. (Don't ask me the other four because the list is too long). I am not forgetting the banjo of course but this definitely is an exciting moment for me as i really love that song. 

Not a lot has been going on in the past few days here, Don is gone and we have pretty much cleaned the entire homestead, it looks pretty good now. I even chopped a tree into pickup truck sized bits with an Axe. A backbreaking few hours of work but it was satisfying work. 

There may be more to tell but the mosquitoes are out en masse and I'll have to update more later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment