Thursday, May 17, 2012

Ch 34: In which Britt Gets an Awesome New Hat, The Magical Tire Tube Fairy Pays a Visit to Delmore, and the Pizza Demon Has the Last Laugh.


This certainly has been a very eventful week. The most major news being that I went to town for the first time in two months. When I write it down it doesn’t sound like it is that long of a time but it feels like it is forever since I have seen more than ten people in one place at a time. Also seeing buildings, and streets and having to obey things like speed limits and staying on a particular side of the road are foreign to me now. Especially the driving on the left side of the road. We came to a big intersection and I really had no idea what was going on. Also we came to a roundabout and had I been driving I definitely would have killed us. Not only do you have to stay on the left side of the road but you go around the circle clockwise. Craziness. BUT! I got myself an Akubra hat! For those of you that do not know I have a small but formidable hat collection and I get a hat everywhere I go in the world. Also others have brought me back hats from different places. But my world hat collection would never be complete if I didn’t get an Akubra. Akubra is a hat company in Australia and I have to say they are QUALITY hats. Very nice. A bit pricy but worth every penny, you really do need a good hat out here to keep away the elements. Plus my while most hats have a feather on the side, my hat has a real tiger shark tooth on the headband. And a feather of a bird that we hit with the ute.

BUT TOWN. It was weird being in real stores that have real inventory and more than ten kinds of products. Also it was a bit strange to actually need and use money again. There isn’t a lot of economic stimulus happening at Delmore . . . .  well for the staff anyway.

OH AND BEER. I bought a whole case of beer which like everything else in Australia besides kiwi fruit, is really really expensive. But it was worth it, after oh so many days of hard work it is nice to finally crack open a cold one.

Also while we were in town we climbed up one of the sides of “THE GAP” which is where the Stuart highway crosses through a small mountain at the south end of Alice Springs. The view from up there was awesome, I will put up some pictures if I can. Also we saw some wallabies hopping around near the top of the hill, but we couldn’t get that close to them before the jumped away.

We then drove over to meet Tom’s friend Greg who happens to be an amateur radio. . . guy. I don’t really know the right name for it but he has a giant radio antenna in his back yard that he can use to talk to people all over the world. Pretty awesome.

Then it was off to the gas station where we hogged up two diesel pumps and made off with 800 liters of fuel and two free meat pies from the manager who is very appreciative of our business.

OH AND I ALMOST FORGOT, I crossed the Tropic of Capricorn. I didn’t notice it the first time that I came out but the line is just north of Alice Springs. It was funny because the park was full of old people and camper vans on vacation and two filthy oil stained young guys with a beat up old ute and four oil drums on the back. I was standing next to the monument, and one guy comes up wearing slippers drinking some tea, looks at me wit my dusty hat, petrol and paint stained shirt and cow manure encrusted boots, looks back at the line of camper vans and says “So which one are you in?” Good times.
Back at Delmore when I opened the shop the next morning I found an interesting sight. On the floor of the shop were three boxes of blankets, and four boxes of tire tubes. The tiny mail plane would never carry that much stuff and I doubt that a Fedex truck could handle the road conditions here. So we decided that we had all been very good this year and that the magical tire tube fairy had paid a visit to Delmore. Which actually was really helpful because we were badly in need of some spare tires for the utes. It is very dangerous to go out with out two spares on the back. Yes two.

Then two nights ago we decided that we were fed up with the same dinner we’ve been having every night of essentially bacon meat and pasta with some canned veggies and we decided to make a PIZZA. Keep in mind that while I can stir fry stuff, none of us here have any sort of real cooking ability, certainly not BAKING ability. Which as it turns out is much needed for making pizza. Also keep in mind that there was a bit of drinking involved in the process…… but we found a recipie online and went for it. It was one particularly that didn’t involve yeast which we didn’t have but all the reviews said it was good. We decided to make three pizzas because the pizza doughs that we made didn’t look very big, so I started cutting up and cooking sausage and vegetables for what I thought was three pizzas ………..  which turned out to be a lot. Oh, and did I mention that we don’t have tomato sauce? In place of that we just cut up tomatoes and laid them around with the other toppings. DESPITE all of the various ingredients that we were lacking, we weren’t short of determination or beer, and the first two turned out….pretty good. I don’t really know if you could actually call them pizzas but they tasted good whatever they were. It was more like a lot of pizza toppings on a thin piece of crusty bread. But if the first two were “kind of pizzas” then they got all of the pizza genes that were to be had in that family because the third one was definitely NOT a pizza. The first two we made on the baking pans that we cooked them on, but then we ran out of pans so we made the third one (which was the one with the most potential) on a cutting board. But when we tried to move it to the baking sheet. DISASTER. The dough started coming apart left and right. So we decided to be inventive and make what I called a PIZZA-RITTO. A pizza rolled up like a burrito, but alas, it was not to be. You know when you are trying to make an omelet and then you give up and just make scrambled eggs? It was kind of like that except four times bigger and it was definitely a NON HOMOGENOUS mixture. COMPLETE STRUCTURAL FAILURE. There were parts of the dough that cooked and there were parts that had a good amount of vegetables but then there were huge lumps of uncooked dough with a bit of onion right in the middle. NO GOOD. At least we were full from the first two pizzas which turned out to be exactly the right amount of food. And we know better for next time.
Also today I got to try one of the bush plums that Kathleen’s paintings are supposedly about. Freddie Jones is one of the big shot leaders of the local aboriginal community and as I was fueling up his car he pulled a weird branch out of the back of the ute and said “plum, bush tucker” Kaja, I think was his word for it but he pulled one off and ate it. They are pretty good I have to say. Kind of sour, but good. However, much like the pizza we made, they are nothing like what you might call a plums. They are tart yellow berries that grow on what looks like a short bush. But they are good, and now I know what Kathleen is talking about when she talks about her paintings.
Lastly and most surprisingly, this morning I broke a socket wrench IN HALF. I was tightening the bolts that hold on the shovel part of the Grader (a giant bulldozer sort of thing that they use to make roads out here) and one of the nuts really would not come loose so I just leaned into it and lo and behold the circular part that fits around the nut just snapped clean in half. Sometimes I guess you don’t know your own strength. 

No comments:

Post a Comment