Thursday, June 21, 2012

BUSYBUSYBUSY

So this is another backlog notice. It has been so busy with the cattlework until yesterday that i haven't had any time to post or even much to write. It's pretty hard to do anything but come home and crash right after feasting. so just read the post right under this one first if you care about timelines. however if you happen to be a time traveller you are probably used to stuff like this so don't worry about it. 

There have been major continental shifts in Delmore life over the past couple days. Tom, a fixture of Delmore life, has left for greener pastures, and the time of my new friends Espen and Rasmus has been cut unexpectedly and unfortunately short. Delmore downs will miss the touch of Danish in it’s accent for a long time coming. A few days ago it was just Rasmus, Espen, Tom and I, and now there are seven new backpackers. There are two English girls (Bridgett and Helen) an Aussie girl (Chloe) two Aussie guys (Masa and Ji) a German girl (Tina) and Moroccan girl (Celine).
The arrival of Celine last night was extremely unexpected. Ji was outside starting a fire and icame out to see how it was going. I said “oh yeah Ji that looks good” and then I realized that I was talking to three people that I had never seen before. You can’t imagine my shock. The only thing that was running through my mind was how did they get here? We weren’t expecting anyone because Don hadn’t told us anyone was coming let alone that we should pick them up and we are in the middle of nowhere. But it turns out that Celine’s boyfriend and a friend of his work on perma-culture in the aboriginal communities in Utopia so they are familiar with the area and they just dropped her off. I had a very interesting chat with one of the guys about working with the aboriginals and how different projects work or don’t, and about how the Australian government doesn’t really understand what the aboriginals want or need. Waves of projects come in to the communities to try to help bring them housing and this or that not really understanding the aboriginal worldview and the projects always fail. For instance, western people live in houses, so we see people sleeping in the dirt by the fire and we think “oh they must be poor or uncomfortable”. But that is how they have lived for all their lives and generations before that, so if you come in and build them a house they are very likely not to see it as a house as an interestingly stacked pile of firewood. And so on. So they are working on building gardens and orchards WITH the communities and in the right places so that tey will feel they have more ownership of it and be more likely to take care of it. But they were very cool guys and Celine’s boyfriend lives in Darwin so I may have found myself a place to stay when I go up there.

Anyway, so I learned to drive a car with snow on the road. I learned how to drive a manual car driving cattle through the Australian bush. Not only am I starting to get the hang of driving stick, but I did it while herding cattle in the bush. You want the cattle to go really slow so they will eat while they are walking and not burn too much energy, so you end up troding along in first maybe second gear and going that slow in the bush it’s really easy to stall out. So you get a lot of practice starting into first which was the last thing I was trying to figure out how to do smoothly. But I got it and I managed to get in some tearing around chasing cattle because at the end they decided that they were just going to turn around and go the wrong way. While I did do what I think was a good job herding the cattle, I did manage to put a nice big spiderweb shaped crack in the windshield. We were walking them along the edge of a creek and there were suddenly a lot of low scrubby trees around, which the v8 ute I was driving usually passes through like they were paper, but I found a branch that was just a bit too big AND bumped over some big logs at the same time. I had to dig the back wheels out of the sand and seriously work the four wheel drive, but we made it out.
            I have also been given the full (or mostly) bore tour of delmore so I am now set to do some bore runs, and there are new people to look after the shop if need be so I should see a bit more action than before I think. I’m moving up the ladder.
            It’s funny, it’s really hard to think of what else has happened these past few days despite the fact that so much crazy stuff has been happening. The crazy is second nature to me now I suppose. *eye twitch
            But it is very strange having people that were like family just up and leave, and I’m not really used to seeing this many new people all at once for a place so remote. But I have so many friends here, I’m sure we will be even close over the next few weeks as we live and work together we will be a new family.
Also with Tom leaving,, that makes me not only the oldest person here, but the one here for the longest which is a bit weird being a sort of elder on a cattle station. I didn’t really see it coming.    . . . . . . .

And then I fell asleep while writing and now I can’t remember what I was thinking about. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment