Friday, July 6, 2012

Petrol Burps and Bovine Sneezes on the Day That Shouldn’t Have Been.


This is another double post. chronologically the last post comes before this one!

As it turns out I will be here at Delmore for one more week. The guys that I thought I’d be getting a ride had to push their plans forward a bit and it ended up not working out. Although, I will still be meeting them in Darwin and Sydney later on in my journey. I thought I’d be leaving with them this morning but I guess it didn’t work out. Oh well, I can do a lot with another weeks pay anyway.
So instead of having my first day off in a month, I started the day by trying to fix a bore that would only work for a minute before shutting off. I spilled petrol on my clothes filling up the engine, I soaked my arms in petrol while cleaning the air filter then worst of all I got a mouthful of petrol trying to siphon the bad fuel out of the tank. That was an awful experience that I will hopefully never have to repeat. I’m very lucky that I didn’t swallow any. . . I think. . . .  
Most of the guys went back to university last week so my week has been spent teaching the new guy Craig where all the bores are and how the intricate details of how to get them started. I’m sure that his skills will come quite in handy what with Delmore being run by unskilled backpackers up until now. A typical conversation may go . . .

Britt: “ This is Carmensita, the fuel line is too long and is bent on this one, so you have to hold it up when you are bleeding it in order to get all the air out.”

Craig: “Why don’t I just cut it shorter and reattach it the next time the tank is empty?”

Britt: “Oh yeah, I guess no one ever had time to think about that.”

He is a pretty cool guy and a plumber by trade, which when you think about it, most of what raising cattle in the desert amounts to is a giant plumbing job. Pumping water out of the ground then over thousands of kilometers of pipeline and keeping all the tanks full is 90% of raising the cattle. It’s only twice a year that you muster up the ones that are big enough to sell.
But despite his plumbing prowess, we spent the better part of two days zooming around Dnieper trying to figure out why water was not pumping from the dam next to the Dnieper homestead, to the yards a K away. And after driving, tap switching, on-foot-pipeline following, two burst pipes and a half a day spent hauling a trailer over some of the worst roads in the property we finally got it pumping. Of course then as soon as the water started flowing into the yards the thirsty cattle rushed over and broke the floaters off of the troughs and messed with some pipeline so we lost probably 20,000 liters of water according to Don (so it was probably more like 5000 liters but still a lot). So that’s a project for today.

I spent the rest of the day ear tagging cattle at the Old Macdonald yards. Yes, there is an Old Macdonald farm here, the jokes have been made. Actually the homestead there says Old Macdonald Downs right on the roof. But while the yards there are set up so as to make moving the cattle around very easy, the crush (the contraption at the end of the race that holds the cattle down while you brand and tag them) is at such an angle to the fence, that I while tagging I was in the perfect position to be slobbered on and blood-gushed-on and just generally thrashed around by the poor not-so-defenseless cow in the crush. But apart from my arm nearly being broken every time, my arms got covered in cow slobber as they threw their head in every other direction than the one I needed them to look. The slobber itself is not so bad you can just wipe it off, and getting really dirty in the yards is part of the fun of the whole adventure, but I found out something interesting today. I am allergic to cow saliva. I hadn’t noticed before because I was always wearing a long sleeve shirt when I tagged but yesterday, with a t-shirt on my arms got really itchy only where the slobber touched me, then my eyes got kind of itchy and I started sneezing a lot. The same order of events as when I am around cats for too long. It wasn’t so bad and we got the job done but you never think about animals you might be allergic to that you are never in contact with. I might also be allergic to dolphins, lemurs and porcupines for all I know. But actually, the cattle sneeze sometimes as well, maybe they are allergic to humans.
Today a bunch of us are going into town for the big cattle show. Unfortunately I am among that group but I am happy to at least have most of the day off. There is a mixed group of nine cattle that need branding at the Delmore yards, but that’s not a lot of work and it’s only like 3 K’s away so I basically have the day off. Not to mention I will be in Alice for good in less than a week’s time anyway. It doesn’t really seem like my time here at Delmore will ever end, or that there ever was anything before this in my entire life. But it has been a great experience to look out the window and see the box I was living in shrinking in the distance. I have learned so much and experienced so many things in my stay here that I will be forever changed. But most importantly, I think I can safely say that I have accomplished what I set out to do by coming here, namely to find the drive and inspiration that I felt I had lost after college, and to free my self from the worries of a future that was all to clearly laid out in front of me. I do have goals, but sometimes being able to see the path to them too clearly, holds you back from molding yourself a better route, and coming to a place where there really is only what is right in front of you, has been enormously helpful in wiping my etch-a-sketch clean. Now when I get back to the states I will be in a boat with paddles, rather than a raft. Not to mention sitting in the back of a ute and going ballistic chasing cattle across the open bush is really great time. And I have met some great people and made friends in New Zealand, England, Morocco, Germany, the Netherlands, Australia of course, and I can officially say that I know 1/1,000,000th of the population of Denmark. But my journey and my travels are not over by far, literally anything could happen in the next five days or in the two months I have before going back home. It is a bit weird to think that I am only 2/3rds done with my trip here, as I said earlier it feels like I’ve been living here a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment